Traditional Greek recipes from the island of Crete.
Its local name is “Kalamarákia gemistá” which means “Stuffed squids” in Greek.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 kilo squid medium sized
- 400 gr rice
- 1 unit onion large
- 2 unit spring onion
- 350 ml extra virgin olive oil (1,5 cups)
- 2 tbsp dill finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plums finely chopped
- 0,5 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 unit lemon juiced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Wash and clean the squids.
- Empty them by removing the central membrane.
- Remove the tentacles and finely chop them in a separate bowl.
- Add the onions, dill, rice, plums, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, nutmeg, a little salt and pepper.
- Stuff the squid with this mixture.
- Secure the end of each squid with a hard toothpick, so that the stuffing will not come out.
- Place in a wide pot, add 1 1/2 cups water, cover them and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Carefully take them out with a fork and place them in a Pyrex dish. Sprinkle them with the remainder of the olive oil and lemon.
- Place the squids in the oven for 20-30 minutes at moderate temperature until brown.
- Let them cool and serve.
Our recipes are collected directly from local people or authors living in Spain, Italy and Greece. They have shared with us their local recipes and their Mediterranean lifestyle secrets. This Greek recipe can be also included at Mediterranean recipes, or Healthy recipes group. Mediterranean recipes Traditional Greek recipes AG0000221
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!