Traditional Greek recipes from the island of Crete.
Its local name is “Gávros xidátos mé skórdo” which means “Anchovies with vinegar and garlic”
Servings: 10 people
- 600 ml extra virgin olive oil (3 cups)
- 1 kg anchovy
- 400 ml grape vinegar (2 cups)
- 1 garlic
- Wash the anchovies and remove the intestines and the heads.
- Salt and place in a bowl. Add vinegar, cover with a dish and let stand for 4 hours.
- Strain off the vinegar, slice lengthwise with a knife and remove the central bone. Immerse filets in vinegar again and let them stand for another 2 hours, until they turn white.
- Next, remove from vinegar and place in a glass jar.
- Cover with olive oil and store in a cool place or in the refrigerator up to 5 – 6 months.
- Add 1 finely chopped clove of garlic in every 2 or 3 servings of anchovies when serving.
Our recipes are collected directly from local people or authors living in Spain, Italy and Greece. They have shared with us their local recipes and their Mediterranean lifestyle secrets. This Greek recipe can be also included at Mediterranean recipes or Healthy recipes group. Mediterranean recipes Traditional Greek recipes Anchovies with vinegar and garlic recipe – Traditional Greek recipes AG000223_v00
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!